Welcome to Developmental and Reproductive Biology (DRB)
Graduate Program Website!!!
The Department of Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology at the University of Hawaii School of Medicine offers a graduate program leading to MS and PhD degrees in Developmental and Reproductive Biology. In our program, students are enganged in laboratory research and classes that integrate diverse disciplines, such as the study of:
Whether your goal is pure basic science or translational research, we offer opportunities that will enable you to impact biomedical science and our understanding of life!
- Embryo development
- Stem cells
- Assisted reproductive technologies (ART)
- Gene therapy
- Anatomical imaging
DRB Graduate Program Student Retreat
(February 26, 2016, Friday, IBR Manoa)
2016 DRB Graduate Program Student Retreat, organized by Dr. Monika Ward, was held on February 26 (Friday), from 9:00am to 2:30pm, in the Manoa IBR Conference Room (Biomed E-125). The current students presented their research accomplishment. See more details in here.
Recent Publications (2015-2016) by DRB Graduate Students
Names of the DRB students are highlighted.
- Yamauchi Y, Riel JM, Ruthig VA, Ortega E, Mitchell MJ, Ward MA. (2016) Two genes substitute for the mouse Y chromosome for spermatogenesis and reproduction. Science 351:514-516. [the first 3 authors contributed equally]
- Warkus EL, Yuen AA, Lau CL, Marikawa Y. (2016) Use of In Vitro Morphogenesis of Mouse Embryoid Bodies to Assess Developmental Toxicity of Therapeutic Drugs Contraindicated in Pregnancy. Toxicological Sciences 149:15-30.
- Riel JM, Yamauchi Y, Ruthig VA, Ward MA (2015). Mouse Y-encoded Transcription Factor Zfy2 is Essential for Sperm Formation and Function in Assisted Fertilization. PLoS Genetics 11:e1005476.
- Ortega EA, Ruthig VA, Ward MA. (2015) Sry-Independent Overexpression of Sox9 Supports Spermatogenesis and Fertility in the Mouse. Biology of Reproduction 93:141.
- Gawecka JE, Boaz S, Kasperson K, Nguyen H, Evenson DP, Ward WS. (2015) Luminal fluid of epididymis and vas deferens contributes to sperm chromatin fragmentation. Human Reproduction 30:2725-2736.
- Ortega MA, Nguyen H, Ward WS. (2015) ORC proteins in the mammalian zygote. Cell and Tissue Research Oct 9 [Epub ahead of print]
- Li AS, Marikawa Y. (2015) An in vitro gastrulation model recapitulates the morphogenetic impact of pharmacological inhibitors of developmental signaling pathways. Molecular Reproduction and Development 82:1015-1036.
- Higuchi CM, Maeda Y, Horiuchi T, Yamazaki Y. (2015) A Simplified Method for Three-Dimensional (3-D) Ovarian Tissue Culture Yielding Oocytes Competent to Produce Full-Term Offspring in Mice. PLoS One 10:e0143114.
- Fogelgren B, Polgar N, Lui VH, Lee AJ, Tamashiro KK, Napoli JA, Walton CB, Zuo X, Lipschutz JH. (2015) Urothelial defects from targeted inactivation of exocyst Sec10 in mice cause ureteropelvic junction obstructions. PLoS One 10:e0129346.
- Polgar N, Lee AJ, Lui VH, Napoli JA, Fogelgren B. (2015) The exocyst gene Sec10 regulates renal epithelial monolayer homeostasis and apoptotic sensitivity. American Journal of Physiology - Cell Physiology 309:C190-201.
- Nguyen H, Ortega MA, Ko M, Marh J, Ward WS. (2015) ORC4 surrounds extruded chromatin in female meiosis. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 116:778-786.
Important Notice to All Students
The DRB Graduate Program Committee has recently issued the following two documents to define the nature of PhD and Master degrees (Plan A/B) in our program:
- Degrees offered in the DRB Graduate Program
- Master Plan A Research Criteria
These are relevant and applicable to both current as well as incoming students.